Got this in my mailbox a couple of days ago:
If you have a moment, I'd appreciate your help. We're launching a program in Silicon Valley (www.iridescentbayarea.org) to teach girls about high tech entrepreneurship and to inspire them to pursue careers in science and engineering. The program has gained a lot of traction and we've already built some exciting partnerships. We are looking to hire a Technical Director to lead and expand this effort. Please see the job posting below and forward to anyone who you think might be interested.
Thanks for your help and I hope all is well.
Position Title: Technical Director
Reports To: President
Compensation: The Technical Director will be responsible for raising his/her salary with the president’s help.
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
To Apply: Please email resume and cover letter to email@example.com
Iridescent, a non-profit that gives children from underserved communities access to cutting-edge science, is launching a program in the San Francisco Bay Area (www.iridescentbayarea.org). The Bay Area program will focus on high-tech and entrepreneurship for high school girls. We have a proven track record and strong infrastructure. We are looking for a dynamic and highly-motivated Technical Director to lead and grow the Bay Area program. This is the perfect opportunity for someone who is interested in making a big impact in the exciting field of STEM (science, technology, engineering, math) education.
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS AND ABILITIES
The Technical Director must be a creative and organized thinker capable of managing a diverse set of responsibilities. The Technical Director must be a driven self‐starter who thrives in a fast-paced entrepreneurial environment. The Technical Director must have a deep belief in Iridescent’s mission. The Technical Director is a key member of the Iridescent team and must share Iridescent’s belief in high-quality work, strong work ethic, and attention to detail.
Other qualifications include:
• Strong technical background (degree in engineering or science is preferred)
• Prior work experience in high tech is preferred
• Highly organized individual with excellent project management skills and
• exceptional attention to detail
• Resourceful and entrepreneurial individual with an ability to find creative solutions to overcome obstacles
• Demonstrated ability to make strategic decisions in complex situations
• Exceptionally strong verbal and written communications skills
• Demonstrated ability to manage and lead public outreach
• Ability to balance multiple priorities and definitive deadlines
• Strong research abilities and ability to keep abreast of current advancements in related fields (education, business, philanthropy,
• Belief in a creative approach to education that makes full use of current technology & trends in education
• Skill and experience in interacting with all levels of individuals at corporations, government agencies, and educational institutions
• Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite, especially Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
• Flexibility to grow with the organization and assume new and expanded responsibilities
• Ability to quickly learn about and use new software, technology and processes
• Belief that a small group of motivated individuals can truly change the world
for the better
• Work assignments will be consist of a majority of self‐generated projects reflecting individual strategic choices that are aligned with the organization’s overall objectives, as well as assignments provided by the President.
• Occasional travel will be required (~10%).
TECHNICAL PROGRAM RESPONSIBILITIES
• Develop an extraordinary and effective curriculum for Iridescent to inspire young people to learn more about and pursue careers in Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM) fields.
• Develop marketing collateral and a “pitch” deck that can be used to gain additional sponsors, investors, and supporters.
• Recruit mentors for teaching and volunteers for facilitating the program.
• Train and manage the team of mentors and volunteers to ensure that their experience in working with Iridescent is positive and productive.
• Liaise with relevant non-profits and professional groups and develop long-term strategic partnerships.
• Develop effective documentation on all important protocols (such as recruiting, training, implementation, etc.) to enable scaling of Iridescent’s model.
• Develop formative, summative, and longitudinal assessments for education programs delivered to all stakeholders (children, parents, mentors, teachers, sponsors, etc.)
• Consolidate results from all evaluations and develop and publish results.
• Track and maintain records on all course participants (students, mentors, volunteers, etc.)
• Publish educational articles on curriculum and pedagogy in education journals.
• Communicate results regularly with key Iridescent stakeholders (volunteers, chapter leaders, board members, advisors, sponsors, etc.)
STRATEGIC AND DEVELOPMENTAL RESPONSIBILITIES
• Identify and pursue additional sources of funding for education programs, ranging from sponsors, individual donors, grants or other unique sources, as well as partners who will create and provide content for education programs, ranging from individual volunteers to government agencies.
• Explore, develop, evaluate and implement a successful earned income stream of revenue.
• Organize fundraising events and social mixer events to increase Iridescent’s visibility and income.
• Utilize and contribute to online social media networks for Iridescent and Iridescent‐related events with tools such as Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, Iridescent’s blog etc.
We have lofty goals and work hard towards achieving them. No task is too demeaning or trivial if it helps us move closer to our goals. We believe that only through entrepreneurial persistence and visionary thinking are solutions to seemingly insurmountable social issues made possible. While we externally strive to create a better world, we are internally working to build a culture that supports passionate, forward thinking people who will help deliver radical breakthrough solutions to today’s most critical and meaningful challenges. To this end, we are working together to create an environment that fosters learning and growth and encourages creativity, transparency, and diversity.
Please email resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org