Sunday, April 13, 2008

An important note on reviewing technologies and how Tworque works

Right, its time we get into technology showcasing and reviewing. But at this juncture, I need to make a quick and important note on my reviews.

As written in my very first post, I'd like to ultimately (hopefully soon) build a cnet/digg community (called Tworque.com possibly!) where information about technologies from around the world with BOP (Bottom of the Pyramid) applicability can be archived and reviewed.

At this point, tworque.blogspot.com is just a place to test the waters for readership and act as an archive for information I collect. Its incredibly hard to review something without physically viewing or testing the product. So please take what I write with a grain of salt. Please give me your own feedback/review on any of the technologies I present. It will greatly add to the objectivity of my review and tell me (and the designers) what factors to look for in the future. I will also try to get the technology developers to possibly weigh in on their technologies.

My goal when Tworque.com becomes a reality is not to fly around the world wildly to review these technologies first-hand, but rather rely on the sense and will of the "commons," as Linux, wikipedia, and other such ventures have. Anyone, anywhere (with a registered account) should be able to submit a technology that they have either built or come across randomly (either in article, by word-of-mouth or in-person); while other users can review as they deem fit. Experts (who will be selected by the editorial board based on their expertise, experience and individuality) will be allowed a special say in what goes on, but even they can (and should be) questioned. In the end, Tworque.com will be a library of technologies for anyone to access, which will include balanced dialogue with the inventors/designers, users, and other reviewers. This will improve technology access and implementation, technology transfer, and technology design (which the inventors need!) around the world.

I need to say here that I don't believe that technology is the answer to poverty alleviation or economic development. I believe it is part of the solution, an accelerator or catalyst that when designed and used correctly can greatly shorten the distance between problem and solution.

Finally, if you would like to be a part of/help design/sponsor Tworque.com, let me know. I'm on the lookout for advice/help.

1 comment:

calyen said...

Hi Pragnya ,

Your idea of community contributing to the reviewing the technologies and products. This will be the right direction going ahead.

I am an entrepreneur based out of hyderabad, India.

I would be very happy to work with you on your idea.Please let me know.

Kalyan,
kalyan@84ideas.com
sagar.kalyan@gmail.com